Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Final view on everything = don't be selfish


"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.
Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,
not looking to your own interests,
but each of you to the interests of the others."


Have you ever made a decision that you KNEW carried a ton of weight into the grand scheme of things? Redirected the course of your life? Inspired a cosmic shift in your psyche?

I think I made one tonight.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. How much pain do you think we would avoid if we lived by that? If we weren't SO SELFISH.

Ok there it is, all thrown up on the page. You kind of want to stop reading. I want to stop writing.

Beautiful Carolina--I'll never forget her standing there in the parking lot, with her gorgeous blue top and sparkling, wise eyes. "Leah, let me just ask you one question before you leave. If YOU were her, how would you feel about the way you're acting?"

Excuse #1: but my intentions are right
Excuse #2: but I'm not doing anything bad
Excuse #3: but he's only a friend
Excuse #4: but I WANT to do this, and I don't see a reason why not.
^^
There it is. I want something. It's available to me. I'm getting it. Someone else who gets hurt is not my problem. We all know guys like this...girls like this...going from one person who makes them feel good to the next.

It's a little nauseating.

But it's difficult to detect, because it's such a small thing--selfishness. A bad rudder on a ship, a little leven in some dough, a little fly in some clean water.

Anyway. I don't want to drink fly water, do you?

No comments: