Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Beautiful Imperfect




This summer, I've had the honor of experiencing life's recent twists and turns with these two women--even though we're miles apart. It's funny, because we're all going through interesting seasons with their own respective challenges...and because I'm learning a lot, I feel like every time we're on the phone, I end up vomiting all of the truth onto them and their situations. Somehow God uses it. Both of them tell me, "Leah you are such an encouragement..."

If only they knew--that they encourage me WAY more. Even on the days they aren't feeling positive or upbeat. Here's why:

I love being in relationships with people who know that they are flawed. Everyone is imperfect, but a lot of people cover up or ignore the areas where they fall short, because they feel like they have to "have it together." But really, who has it together? Our judgments are so thinly based. Things are rarely how they appear. Someone might seem like a whole person because they have a great job, always say the right things, dress well, act responsibly, etc.--but how do you the place it's coming from? The first step towards healing is brokenness, and knowledge of brokenness. Some people who "have it all together" are deeply insecure.

So I think the most NOBLE and encouraging thing a friend can do for a friend is to let them in on their flaws, give them permission to hear about it, speak into it, and walk through it with them. These girls are never boring to live life with because they dream high, struggle deeply, and mess up all the time--but their hearts are beautiful because they belong to God. At the end of the day, sharing life with them is an adventure because we don't cover up insecurities with "put together-ness." There's no easy way out: we'll be stripped, broken, built up, and changed.

It's the most exciting thing to get to be a part of--to see God come in and transform your friends lives. Love you girls. An angel rides in the whirlwind and directs this storm.

1 comment:

Elle said...

Where do I begin?
I'd like this framed and put on my wall or better yet folded a thousand times over and stuffed into my leather journal where I'll find it many years from now - when we've fought and lost and learned and loved - and cry just the way I did the first time I read it.
I love your heart and how well you love. So excited to be on this adventure with you, sisterfriend.