Friday, November 11, 2011

A good relationship should have...

1) The "secret thread" that turns strangers into close friends.

"You may have noticed that the books you really love are bound together by a secret thread. You know very well what is the common quality that makes you love them, though you cannot put it into words...Are not all lifelong friendships born at that moment when at last you meet another human being who has some inkling...of that something wich you were born desiring..."

-The Problem of Pain

2) The ability to share everything. 

"The person love does to us fit, like manna, has the taste of all in it."

-Emerson

"For a good wife contains so many persons in herself. What was H. not to me? She was my daughter and my mother, my pupil and my teacher, my subject and my sovereign; and always, holding all these in solution, my trusy comrade, friend, shipmate, fellow-soldier. My mistress; but at the same time all that any man friend has ever been to me. Perhaps more. If we had never fallen in love we should have none the less been always together, and created a scandal...Solomon calls his bride Sister. Could a woman be a complete wife unless, for a moment, in one particular mood, a man felt almost inclined to call her Brother?"

-A Grief Observed

2 comments:

Jon Jon Wesolowski said...

Megan is mother, friend, adviser, confidant, wing-man, annnnnnd much mo!

Leah said...

aw, so sweet. she should read this.