Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Weltschmerz.

I watched person after person pass by through the large Starbucks window. My heart hurt and my eyes began to water. Taking time to think about how many people go through life completely lost is a painful recognition of reality. How could Christianity be the hope of world when it seems like it's only the hope for a minority group? How could that possibly be good news?

This guy must have seen me crying, but he came up to me regardless and asked if the seat across from me was taken. I wasn't feeling anything close to light--or chatty, for that matter--but I listened to his happy description of New York sightseeing adventures and the like. A few seconds of silence followed...so I thought I'd be real.

"I'm actually a little sad right now."
"I can see that," he answered.
My mouth curved sardonically, "You must have seen my crying."
"Yeah, what was that all about?" (his German accent made the depressing subject seem almost adorable).

Since he was German, I figured I would explain how I was feeling in a word only the German language expresses so accurately: Weltschmerz. By definition, it means an overall weariness and sadness at the collective absence of hope in the human condition. My Weltschmertz seemed a foreign concept to him, but he said he was also a Christian. Not only that but some sort of youth minister back in Germany.

Which is why I was confused at his self admitted statements that were in COMPLETE contradiction with his belief system.

1. He said truth was different for each person.

2. He couldn't answer the question, "Who is Jesus?"

3. He doesn't believe it's necessary to read the Bible.

Now, I'm not saying my newfound German friend is not saved, does not love God, (etc) because I don't think salvation depends on a verbal formation of the correct "theological ideas." But that doesn't negate how powerful and important those ideas are. How important it is to know who Jesus was and is. How critical to think it is necessary to read the Bible, because the Bible gives a description of the world that is different than what most people will tell you. The truth in it allows you to suck the marrow out of life and love people in ways you thought weren't possible.

So his self-admittance to being a Christian, but apparent inconsistency with a real Christian understanding of things depressed me. Not just because of him, but because I know that the majority of people would agree with his three statements above.

And they miss out on the unimaginable freedom truth brings.

After we talked for awhile my German friend opened up about how he had just broken up with his girlfriend of a year and a half. I noticed him shaking. Somewhat. And I hurt for him. I knew he needed Jesus in a very real sense, but I also knew he probably wasn't confident enough in the reality of His existence to look to him.

No comments: