Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ruined to Make Ruins Made Beautiful

When broken people in a fallen world decide that they will fight, suffer, and live and to maintain what is beautiful in this life, I think there is little else as as moving to watch unfold.

About six hundred people raised half a million dollars, and came together to walk for the organization STOP CHILD TRAFFICKING NOW. A few minutes before they were about to break the ribbon to kick it off, I watched one of the leaders give a hug to a woman on the sidelines wearing a huge, glowing smile. Their whole demeanor was wrapped in joy, with a sense of "we did it." All of those long hours event planning, marketing, recruiting, hiring, advertising, all of those sleepless nights finally paid off and they stood their witnessing the fruit of it.

It reminds me of the verse, “May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us, establish the
work of our hands for us, yes, establish the work of our hands.” (Ps 90:17)


There was a time I believed comfort was my highest desire. Safe parameters.

But the breathless awe, the fire, the influx of joy that flows from a heart ruined for this world and determined to bring about the good is far more beautiful in comparison. I could never have enacted the shift of desire on my own. We are made of sin, but connected to God we are in a state of glory.

Like new eyes seeing new light,
In the same room with the same song
When indifferent for so long,
Now I'm melody, I am love-struck.

No comments: