Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tim Keller - to fall in love

Tim Keller describes a "Christian vision for marriage" and what it means to fall in love.

It is to look at another person and get a glimpse of the person God is creating and to say, 'I see who God is making you, and it excites me! I want to be part of that. I want to partner with you and God in the journey you are taking to his throne. And when we get there, I will look at your magnificence and say, '"I always knew you could be like this. I got glimpses of it on earth, but now look at you!'"

...Romance, sex, laughter and plain fun are the by-products of this process of sanctification, refinement, glorification. Those things are important, but they can't keep the marriage going through years and years of ordinary life. What keeps the marriage going is your commitment to your spouse's holiness. You're comitted to his or her beauty. You're committed to his greatness and perfection. You're committed to her honesty and passion for the things of God. That's your job as a spouse. Any lesser goal than that, any smaller purpose, and you're just playing at being married.


The Meaning of Marriage

No comments: