Wednesday, September 29, 2010

John Donne

Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betrothed unto Your enemy
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to You, imprison me, for I
Except You enthrall me, never shall be free;
Nor ever chaste, except You ravish me.

Donne used techniques that have been donned (no pun intended) with the name "metaphysical poetry." Typical, that I love his style. /All things metaphysical. Always.

What he does is provide dramatic contrast through frequent and unexpected shifts of viewpoint, to ultimately come to a dramatic synthesis of discordant images. He always includes intriguing paradoxes that link sinfulness with deliverance, conquest with liberation, and imprisonment with freedom. This was a revolutionary development in European literature during the 17th century.

We love you, Donne.


(The Humanistic Tradition, pg 564)

No comments: